Sunday, December 21, 2008

"IT" stage 4

If you have read the Yarn Harlot's The Secret Life of a Knitter then you will know what that means. If not let me break that down for you. I was going to make a few things for my mom this year for Christmas.

Stage one is when I plan for what to make this year. I wanted to make a few things for my mom only since I already made stuff for my cousins the year before and there wasn't anyone else I could think of that would like hand knitted items. Well there is one, but that wasn't until about a month ago.

Stage two I started buying yarn and patterns. Planning what to do. I decided when I saw the Mystic Ice shawl was available for a little knit along I decided to go for it. I also wanted to make a sweater for her, I found a great pattern she loved. Though I didn't have enough money for the yarn and I couldn't find a yarn that I liked (that and was warm/machine washable). I think I know of some now though. I blame my boss at Green Planet Yarn, there are so many great things there, but I digress.

I cast on for the shawl right when chart one came out. I knit it in less then a week and I thought that this would be easy and I could finish it in time. So then I put it down for a little bit.

Stage 3 is when I started to panic a little. I cast on for a pair of socks for myself and knit one of them in about 4 days of reading and knitting at the same time. I loved them so much, the pattern was perfect for reading. The shawl lamented while college winded down, which I had to study too. Then I thought oh crap, chart 4 (then 5) are out now, I want this done by when? (insert appropriate swearing here %^&(*&(*%& %&^(&*&&@^%(@&#(*%^&*#()$&Q%&*!*$%*^@(*&*%^@()_*&^&$*^&#@)^*).

I am in stage 4 which is when I am figuring out how many rows I need to complete daily to get back on track, even though I have no idea how many rows are on the last chart that is being released TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ignore my chores and cleaning. I take away as much sleep as I can without needing energy drinks (trust me I really don't want to be spending money on that). Now my dad knows about the shawl and the socks. He is now understanding that I am nuts. Oh the socks, attempt number 5. One sock is done and I am on the foot of the other. I should get those done quickly. They are really simple. But the %^*#()&$@*() SHAWL!!!!! Grrrrr

Its pretty eh?




The first is the first four charts and the next is of the actual shawl. Only half of it, but it's pretty. The green is a life line, this is the second I've used on this shawl. I know I'm nuts, but tis the season.

I will now knit the billion stitches on the needles now.

If you don't hear from me I might be recovering

2 comments:

Yarndude said...

Wow, that shawl is really beautiful. Good luck!

Hattie said...

Gorgeous! I hope you make it!